Monday, August 18, 2008

In Which We Are Introduced...

Hello. My name is Gillian Cameron. I'm a transgendered woman. More specifically I lead a dual existence. If I were to pin it down further, I might say that I'm a heterosexual crossdresser. I MIGHT say that, but I wouldn't like saying it, so I won't. I would actually like to identify myself as being two-sprited, but since I don't belong directly to an indigenous culture (well, ok, I'm about 1/128 Cherokee) I can't really claim that title. Frankly, when I get into a state of mind like this, I'm reminded of a magazine cartoon I saw years ago in which a man is seated in a bar next to a rhinoceros. The rhino is saying, "Yeah, I'm a rhinoceros, but I'm not into labels." Some of my other labels have included "non-genetic woman," and "part-time lesbian."

In short, I find it hard to define myself.

And that's just fine with me. As I am, I am a mystical creature. By breaking a few boundaries I tweak reality and become a thing of myth. (At least I flatter myself to think so.) And living on the edge reality of keeps me from going completely off into the void and actually gives me a purpose. Go figure.

So... I'm a storyteller. I tell stories from around the world to anyone who will listen. Some deal directly with gender and transformation. Some are women's stories (and I have been honored to have women of deep spirituality listen, accept, and encourage). And some are stories to simply be enjoyed on their own merits.

If I do this right, I'll be posting about transgender issues, spirituality, folklore, and mythology - plus whatever tangential stuff comes up.

Welcome

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello
I'm a bit late but I only found you yesterday.

I too find it difficult to define myself. I'm not completely out but to those whom I trust I identify as a transgender woman.

I hope to read more from you.

Oh, one last thing. Do you pronounce Gillian like Jillian or with a hard 'G'. I prefer the latter myself.

Till next time, bye.

Gillian said...

Hi Gillian!
Oh my goodness! I'm glad you found me! I'm looking forward to sharing my stories with you.

And I use a soft "G". Which is why so many people I've met have spelled it "Jillian."

Welcome, and I'll be back soon
Gillian